Monday, June 7, 2010

Fetch Your Poetry Appreciation Chairs

William McGonagall was an astonishingly bad poet, the most famous example of whose body of work I inflict upon you below for your entertainment.



The Tay Bridge Disaster

Beautiful Railway Bridge of the Silv'ry Tay!
Alas! I am very sorry to say
That ninety lives have been taken away
On the last Sabbath day of 1879,
Which will be remember'd for a very long time.

'Twas about seven o'clock at night,
And the wind it blew with all its might,
And the rain came pouring down,
And the dark clouds seem'd to frown,
And the Demon of the air seem'd to say-
"I'll blow down the Bridge of Tay."

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!



Courtesy The Annotated Pratchett File.

1 comment:

This Week: said...

Is this Tom, as in the Tom of the glorious days of Centre, staying up way too late to tabletop, and correcting my poor grammar & spelling?

If so, check yer bloomin' facebook page! I don't normally use it either, but I (Jerry) have been trying to get ahold of you, and I discover that I am a terrible stalker in this regard, in that I must ask you to contact me.

If you're not Tom, oops.