Thursday, August 28, 2008

Oh God

We got a DVD in the mail a couple days ago, here at the office. I didn't open the package because the return label read "Citizens Commission on Human Rights" and I thought it would be a project to raise awareness of the homeless or starving kids in Africa; not something we could do much about with our current level of cash flow.

So it sat on my desk for a couple days until this morning, when I in a moment of idleness tore it open and tipped it up.

Out fell Psychiatry: An Industry of Death.



(What's up with that gunsight? "Ima shoot the president, and I'll practice on these pictures of Benjamin Franklin I've got lying around in my abbatoir!" Oh, hey, let's just add some stock photos of Arlen National Cemetery! Yeah, death and money! That gets our point across!)

This is a Scientologist screed, people. I don't know why they'd send us one, gratis, but I've no interest in watching something so full of smears (David, on the other hand, promised to watch and point and laugh). They probably want us to soften up to all of the wonderful sue-my-psychiatrist-because-I'm-not-well-after-three-visits cases we haven't been getting lately.

The Scientologists must think One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is depicting conditions in modern, state-of-the-art psychiatric institutes.

Anyway, the Scientologists split their church back in the 80s to avoid having to pay almost $100 million dollars in lawsuits. Since the Church of Scientology was the entity being sued, they founded dozens of other companies, with virtually no mention of Scientology, and spread the money around to them, so they could claim the Church was almost broke and thus avoid paying anything much.

You'd think all those Thetans inside 'em would teach 'em how to be honest and forthright.

No comments: