Friday, February 29, 2008

Where'd They Come From?

A young woman just came by the office and offered to sell me a Christian cookbook. She's putting herself through Christian college by selling these cookbooks, which are pretty much just like any other cookbook except they've got Christian glurge artfully arrayed between the recipes, little inspirational sayings like Jesus Christ was horribly tortured and died an intensely painful and prolonged death just to give you a get-out-of-hell-free card and the like.

I had to refuse. Then she tried to hit me up for a buck. "That's not too much to ask?" Well, it is when I'm not carrying any cash. Sorry, lady.

I'm not too worried. I'm sure there are plenty of other folks here in the Valley who'll buy one or more books, probably because they feel obliged to ("I don't need it, but it's a Christian cookbook! What else could I have done?") and a single sawbuck wouldn't have bought her much except maybe heart disease from McDonald's.

Still, that's two missionaries from out-of-country who've tried to hit me up in the month of February. What's up with that?

1 comment:

Jgl letra said...

Bset Content I ever seen