In the manga and anime series FullMetal Alchemist, there are seven deadly characters named after the classic sins: Lust, Gluttony, Envy, Greed, Sloth, Wrath, and Pride. Their nature and where they come from are central to the story's plot.
Well, now the Holy See has declared seven new sins which will send us straight to hell:
1. Birth Control, abortions, and other bioethical violations
2. "Morally dubious" experiments like stem cell research
3. Drug Abuse
4. Pollution (Isn't this a Horseman already?)
5. Widening the gap between rich and poor (I thought "Greed" covered this already)
6. Excessive wealth (again, Greed)
7. Creating poverty (Are there no workhouses?)
I guess FullMetal Alchemist is in for a sequel. It's not going to be as good as the original, of course.
On a related note, one of the churches along my commute has put up a marquee stating "God loves you so much He died for you."
That's some sacrifice. He stayed dead, what, three days? At most? And now he's up in heaven and he gets to separate the wheat from the tares and all his followers sit on his right hand. And if God knows everything, why did he make rules for us if Jesus was just going to come along behind him in a couple thousand years and throw them all away?
Sigh. I promise I'll find a cat picture to make up for all of this ranting.