Friday, May 2, 2008

The Great Controversy

The missionary came back again today. And again, I had no money. What a shame. I could have purchased a large-format paperback book (we're talking 8 1/2 by 11 inches) entitled The Great Controversy, which traces the conflict of good vs. evil from the beginning of time to the modern era and has a spiffy cover illo of the Statue of Liberty in front of a wavy American flag.

Since she left without leaving me a copy of the book, I can't get into it very much. I don't think this is the same one*. But she opened it up and flipped through a bit explaining what it was about. The "beginning of history" seemed to be described in the chapter on the French Reformation, and the thirty-second tour ended up on a full-page illustration of Liberty Enlightening the World with a ghostly Jesus standing by.

So, how could I possibly refuse?

*I like the first couple sentences in the first review of that book. "Remember when you were 8 years old and you found out Santa Claus didn't exist? Well don't worry, this book isn't about Santa Claus!" Wow. Now that's exciting. A whole book that isn't about Kris Kringle! I must ... no, I will possess it!

No comments: