Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Some Wonderful News

Antibiotic-resistant staph infections are of great concern for me, having barely survived two bouts with S. aureous in the past. The good news is, it's been 9 years since my last outbreak, and my particular strain was still vulnerable to some heavy-duty chemicals.

But now, in Scotland, they're developing bacteriophage viruses implanted in nylon and other materials, for use after surgery. The idea is the viruses eat the resistant bacteria you can pick up in hospitals, thus reducing the risk and/or severity of infection.

This doesn't mean much for me, but if it prevents more deaths, that's a wonderful thing. I only wish I were a multi-billionaire so I could bankroll their research....

But anyway, I do hope they manage to get a bacteriophage virus that can be relied upon not to infect the surgery patients itsownself. That would just suck.

No comments: