I am yoinking a music meme from Morgan, and for completeness I'll run down the guidelines here:
1. Shuffle your music player.
2. Go down the list and list out the first lines from the first 20 songs, excluding instrumentals.
3. See who can guess what.
For those who participate, there will be cake.
So, without further ado, I proceed:
1. This is his lair, I smell the old fox around/He keeps himself to himself, he's staying close to the ground
2. I will survive, in my Mach 5, in my Mach 5, I will survive (yeah, yeah, yeah)
Morgan got this one: "Mach 5," The Presidents of the United States of America
3. Ex Tee Sea versus Adam Ant/Content versus form
Morgan got this one: "XTC versus Adam Ant," They Might Be Giants
4. You called me last night/On the telephone
Morgan got this one: "New York City," They Might Be Giants (although I think I heard they covered it).
5. The bells are ringing/The song they're singing/This song is bringing the people round
Morgan got this one: "The Bells," They Might Be Giants
6. I lost my lucky ball and chain/Now she's forty years gone
Morgan got this one, too: "Lucky Ball And Chain," They Might Be Giants. My home computer must love them as much as I do.
7. My whole family loves Three's Company/See the reruns constantly/They're on my Tee Vee
Morgan, again: "Syndicated, Incorporated," Weird Al Yankovich
8. We carried you in our arms on Independence Day/Now you throw us all aside and put us all away
9. Ooh my little hungry one, hungry one/Open up a package of my bologna
Morgan, again: "My Bologna," by Weird Al.
10. As I walked out one night in the mystic garden/The wounded flowers were dangling from the vine
11. Take time for your pleasure/And laugh with love/Take the hand of another/And sing with the wings of a dove
12. Man came to the door/I said for whom are you looking/He said your wife/I said she's busy in the kitchen cooking
13. Don't wanna be a Canadian idiot/Don't wanna be some beer-swilling hockey nut
Morgan, again: "Canadian Idiot," Weird Al
14. Lost john sitting on a railroad track/Somethin's outta whack
15. Show me the meaning of the world
16. Young Abdel Mahdi Shahmay was only eighteen years old
17. Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee/They're throwing knives into the tree
18. Down at the shore there's a place where there's no one vacationing
19. Since I was a child, I tried to be what I am not/I lied and I've enjoyed it all my life
Morgan, one last time: "Big Hat, No Cattle," Randy Newman
20. By and by, I'm breathing a lover's sigh/Well I'm sitting on my watch so I can be on time
Well, that's it. Those are from my home computer, on which I have fewer mp3s. Perhaps I will do this again in a few weeks from my office computer, which has a larger selection.
And for those who have read this far: The cake is a lie. But here's a cat pic: